The master mind behind this idea is my cousin Tiffany.
Her and I met with 2 other girls in February to discuss some of the meals that we like, and would freeze well. Basically we each pick an entrée and make enough to feed each girl and their spouse's to eat twice. (Since I don't have children, and the other girl's children are still very young.)
So there are a total of 8 people that are being fed.
And they need to be fed twice.
Thats 16 servings that we each have to make of the entrée we have chosen.
A week after meeting we exchanged our meals.
We had Spaghetti Sauce, Taquitos, Enchilada Soup, and Chili.
I can't get over what a genious idea it is to freeze food! The Spaghetti Sauce did require me to buy my own noodles and whatever else I wanted to go with the meal. But it saved me that much time in making a delicous homemade Spaghetti Sauce, all I had to do was thaw it out and heat it up.
The food was enough to last a month. Which means we saved a good amount on grocery shopping! And as far as buying ingredients to make my entrée, hardly cost me that much more because its cheaper to buy in bulk.
So this Month I'm making Wontons.
I have fond memories of making these with my Mom, as I do with most of my favorite recipes.
They are so easy to make and really you could put whatever you want in them. My mom always did rice and ground beef, which can never go wrong. I've tried cream cheese and it was a winner. This is my recipe.
- 1 package of Wonton wraps (usually makes 40)
- Small bowl of water
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 1/2 C. cooked white rice
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, marjoram, thyme, and savory.
- OR a couple TBS of Mrs. Dash seasoning
- 4 C vegetable oil
Cook ground beef and add spices. Cook rice. Mix together in a bowl. Open package of Wonton wraps. Lay out one at a time and with the tip of your finger, dip in water to dampen the edges of the Wonton wrap. (If its too wet it will get sogy and if its too dry it won't stick.) Place one spoonfull of rice and beef mixture on the Wonton. Fold Wonton and make sure it is seeled good before frying in oil.
Don't worry this is only maybe half of what I made for the Freezer Meals. Its a good thing I had my netflix to keep me entertained while doing all of this wrapping :)
Bon Appétit!




2 comments:
Yum! This looks and sounds delicious! Cant wait to try this out :)
mmmmmm... LOVE LOVE LOVE your wontons!! I can't wait to dive into this meal!
Post a Comment